[IAEP] Quick "Dumb Question"

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Jan 29 04:38:33 EST 2011

> > When Sugar Labs says an Activity works with "0.82-0.88", how does that
> translate to the OLPC builds like 10.1.3?

Perhaps it might be useful to know how to tell what your XO has - for me to
check this is what I do: from the activity ring I right click on the X in
the middle and choose "settings" and then "about my computer". Then I can
see if I have 0.84 or some other number like that.

imho, at the end, that was wrong step with exposing sugar version on
> activities.sugarlabs.org. It is technical/internal stuff that peopel who
> launch activities should not bother about (it should just start proper
> version, installing proper dependencies). There is an ongoing work to
> implemnet excatly this scheme, so people won't do the job (resolving
> version/dependency related issues) by themselves, computers do that
> much better.

I think it is useful if there is a way for volunteers to easily grab a big
"collection" of activities that will work on the laptops at the deployment
they are going to. This is particularly important when going to a deployment
that has no internet (or a whole country with almost no internet). We put
activities on the school server and later realised that some wouldn't work
as they were for other versions of Sugar. Would it be possible to have
activities automatically put into a collection if they work on a given Sugar
version?

I completely agree that it is really confusing having Sugar versions and
those 10.1.X numbers, especially since we also have to deal with the release
number like 852 or 439, and then you add letters like dx for dextrose or au
for Australia. Simplifying this for everyone or having a wiki page that
helps it all make sense would be useful.

Tabitha