[IAEP] OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (#olpc-meeting, 2PM Boston Time, TODAY, Jan 21!)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Jan 21 13:31:28 EST 2011

Please join us in 30 MIN from now, voting for the latest OLPC/Sugar
community projects over IRC Live Chat, to make the best project
allocations & mentoring relationships--starting right here
2PM Boston Time / EST this afternoon:

http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* Fast Review of the 11 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

  1. OLPC Pulse Oximeter - Vancouver, Canada / South Africa
  2. SEAVURIA: 8 schools near Mombassa, Kenya - Seattle, Washington
  3. OLPC Project from Wilderness Expeditions Ltd - Tucson, Mexico,
Tibet/China
  4. Improving digital literacy in Bangladesh rural areas - Slovenia
  5. OLPC Saint Jacob School, Kigali, Rwanda - Stuttgart, Germany
  6. English as a Second Language, My School House, Tegucigalpa - Honduras
  7. Calendario Activity - Managua, Nicaragua
  8. World Child Project - Tijuana, Mexico
  9. Mesa Arizona Repair Shop - for Belize
  10. School for the Deaf - Harare, Zimbabwe
  11. Golden Hour Project - Bangladesh / Tustin, California

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. OLPC Pulse Oximeter - Vancouver, Canada / South Africa
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=73028
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/PulseOximeter
    http://phoneoximeter.org/projects/olpc/
    http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~walterk
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XOs over 24 months

    Project Objectives:
    - Develop low-cost pulse oximetry hardware that can be easily connected
      to an XO. The pulse oximeter sensor will be both an educational
tool and a
      medical screening device.
    - Develop educational software based on the Sugar framework for
diseases,
      monitoring and physiology. We aim to increase the health awareness
of school
      children in developing countries.
    - Provide a health education tool to the OLPC community.
    - Encourage children to learn about health with the playful support
of an
      XO platform.
    - Make a difference in the fight against infectious diseases.

2. SEAVURIA: 8 schools near Mombassa, Kenya - Seattle, Washington
http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=73159
    http://seavuria.org
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2/11 XOs over 5 months

    Project Objectives: (excerpt)
    The SEAVURIA project pairs students from Vuria (Mombasa), Kenya with
    Seattle-area students to develop collaborative projects focusing on
    *Science and Technology for Sustainable Development*. International
    teams of students will investigate an issue of global health
    significance, sharing their findings and presenting their projects
    at culminating events in their home countries.

    In our pilot year, we hope to impact 80 students – half from Seattle and
    half from Vuria, and engage them in meaningful learning around topics of
    relevance to their lives. To date, 5 Seattle-area schools and 8 Vuria
    schools have signed on to participate and be mentored by scientists.
    International teams of 8 students will each be mentored by at least one
    scientist.

    The goal of the SEAVURIA partnership is to construct a sustainable and
    creative partnership of global awareness through science education...

    The project requires students on both continents to communicate over the
    Internet. Seattle students have computers and connectivity but our
    Kenyan partners need those tools.

    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=73649
    http://www.CanyonLovers.com
    http://www.CanyonsWorldWide.org
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 5 XOs over 24 months

    Project Objectives:
Provide laptops to impoverished Native American/Tarahumara students so that
    they may gain skills and education to provide them with better
employment
    opportunities. Their parents were the first generation to have any
education
    at all, sometimes just through the fifth grade and their daughters
will now
    be the first Native Tarahumara to be able to participate in
journalism and
    direct reporting about their own tribe.

4. Improving digital literacy in Bangladesh rural areas - Slovenia
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=73856
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests ? XOs over 14 months

    Project Objectives:
    § To motivate children to go school and participate in school activities
    § To train primary school teachers how to use modern technology for
      educational purposes.
    § To improve literacy percentage in Bangladesh
    § To educate children how to use modern technology
    § To educate children how to get information through internet
    § To create an areawise network comminuty
    § Enhancing family entertainment through OLPC program and adtional:
One Laptop
      Per Family (OLPF) program
    § To prove the importance of having computers in primary schools in
Bangladesh

5. OLPC Saint Jacob School, Kigali, Rwanda - Stuttgart, Germany
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=73925
    http://www.mcgrwanda.org
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 100 paid XOs over undetermined months

    Project Objectives:
    Equipment of all pupils of this school of grade 3 and above with XO
laptops.

    Integration of the XO-Laptop in the school program as also strongly
    supported from the Rwanda Government. Joining the governmental program
    for knowledge-empowered children as the main resource of the country.

    Increase of learning efficiency of 50 %.
    Increase of available schoolbooks by 500% with digitized material.
    School success increase of the students by 30%.
    Development of a teaching plan for the time the school is out (from
    November to February) to provide teachers an income opportunity.

6. English as a Second Language, My School House, Tegucigalpa - Honduras
http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74166
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 40 XOs over 11 months

    Project Objectives: (excerpt)
    1. Enhance comprehension and communication skills in elementary students
       (first to sixth grade) enable chat rooms with a specific topic
proposed by
       students.
    2. Improve reading skills in a interactive basis (avaible to record each
       child and load the audio files in the school web page, for futher
review
       for student and parents and feedback for teachers).
    3. Improve spelling and phonics skills, by requesting in real time
       essays relating to the proposed topic and referring studetns to
phonics web
       page availables online.

    The goal of the project is to motivate students in their learning
process,
    approaching them to a real scenario among their own class mates,
with the
    possibility of world wide connection, stablishing communication with
other
    children in same basis (English as a second language) or even better
with
    other kids which English is their mother tongue or official language.

    The outcomes measurement will be determined by the frequency of
interaction
    in the chat rooms, improvement in pronunciation (either by real time
    conversions or by the audio formats), improvement in spelling skills,
    grammar and comprehension measured in essays

7. Calendario Activity - Managua, Nicaragua
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74392
    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/calendario
    http://yadervblog.drupalgardens.com/category/tags/sugar
    http://activities.sugarlabs.org/es-ES/sugar/addon/4360
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 1 XOs over 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    Developing the activity “Calendario”, base on a calendar and agenda
    for sugar.

    Promote with the activity the organization skills in an educational
    context.

    Manage and custom an ephemeris database.

    Show information about ephemeris daily.

8. World Child Project - Tijuana, Mexico
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74393
    http://www.worldchildproject.org
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 52 XOs over 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    World Child Projects’s first step in working to break the cycle of
poverty
    for children is to leverage a multi-tiered network for orphans, by:

    · Locating and connecting the largest family in the world – the
      orphanage network - to each other.

    · Developing active and influential relationships with local
      employers, vocational centers, and secondary schools.

9. Mesa Arizona Repair Shop - for Belize
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74400
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2+ serial adapters over undetermined months

    Project Objectives:
    We have multiple request to un-brick laptops, we need a
    serial cable and instructions.  The goal is to learn how
    to support OLPC laptops so that we can start a support
    group in Latin America

10. School for the Deaf - Harare, Zimbabwe
     http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74414
     HarareSchoolfortheDeafLaptopProject.wordpress.com (forthcoming?)
     SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

     Requests 7 XOs over undetermined months

     Project Objectives:
     Emerald Hill School for the Deaf, caters for 320 plus children
ranging in ages
     from 4 to 18+; two-thirds of the pupils are deaf. In addition to
the traditional
     sign-language methods, the School is increasingly using lip-reading
and
     listening through the use of very powerful hearing aids, to teach
and encourage
     children to communicate and speak.

     The objective of the project is to introduce children (starting
with the
     youngest) to self-learn lip-reading, language development and
communication
     skills through the use of the computer; an additional objective is
to encourage
     computer literacy among these children who are so disadvantaged.
     A successful pilot project in Grade 1 will be used as
proof-of-principle to
     propose an expansion plan for equipping additional grades, to
potential
     donors/sponsors.

11. Golden Hour Project - Bangladesh / Tustin, California
     http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=74416
     SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

     Requests 10 XOs over 12-18 months

     Project Objectives:
     The objective of the Golden Hour Project [Right to Learn Intl] is to
     utilize the XO laptops to expand educational opportunities to children
     who live in the remote mountainous areas in Bangladesh, known as the
     Chittagong Hill Tracts. This isolated area, where poverty and
     malnutrition pervade, is inhabited by thirteen indigenous tribes and
     whose literacy rates are 28%, lowest in the nation, even for a country
     like Bangladesh. The indigenous tribal children live scattered on
     mountaintops and only have access to a few schools with severely
     limited resources. The Golden Hour Project will make it possible for
     these children to access better and more comprehensive primary school
     education.

     Our goal, in the first phase, is to deploy XOs in Padamu Residential
     School for seventy-two indigenous orphans, ranging from grades one to
     five. Our long-term objective is to deploy XOs with multi-lingual
     curricula at Padamu Residential School and other primary schools in the
     region. We plan to leverage our knowledge of the native languages and
     expertise in computer programming to develop computer keyboards in the
     tribal languages. We believe One Laptop per Child can play a critical
     role in helping the Golden Hour Project reach both its short and long
     term goals.