[IAEP] reluctant/proactive leader

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 11:22:39 EST 2011

WOW!

you /are/ a Courageous Leader! (not to be confused with a N k0rea title :-)

which reminds me of an excerpt from Krishnamurti that I have had doing
the rounds, precisely on how younger people have an easier time
collaborating than so-called adults.  Because of its potential OT
nature, I am copying it below the fold to mitigate offense - I put in
bold the relevant part, to make the load lighter... :-)

BTW, reading in between the lines, it turns out it was not that /you/
were reluctant, but rather your teachers?  Nice of you to take up the
blame. I feel so encouraged by your attitude, and much honored to learn
from you

Yama

On 01/21/2011 10:04 AM, Dr. Gerald Ardito wrote:
> Yama,
>
> Your response actually gave me an idea.
> In the various situations in which I have worked, I have been able to
> develop students (even at ages 9 and 10) to be real leaders. Perhaps
> they are the way in to this dilemma.
> I will find a way to add them to this community.
> Perhaps, just as in the classroom, when teachers (and others) find the
> students participating so actively and responsibly, they will be
> called to join in?
>
> What do you think.
> Gerald

one of my favorite blogs, framablog.org, had recently a version of this
text by Krishnamurti.  Since great friends Padmanabha and Rama Rao run
the Krishnamurti school in India, it all came together to make me wish
to share this with y'all - the subject matter is something we all wonder
a lot about: *the purpose of education, cooperation...*

    "
    One of the basic problems confronting the world is the problem of
    cooperation. What does the word "cooperation" mean? To cooperate is
    to do things together, to build together, to feel together, to have
    something in common so that we can freely work together.

    But people generally don't feel inclined to work together naturally,
    easily, happily; and so they are compelled to work together through
    various inducements: threat, fear, punishment, reward. This is the
    common practice throughout the world. Under tyrannical governments
    you are brutally forced to work together; if you don't "cooperate"
    you are liquidated or sent to a concentration camp. In the so-called
    civilized nations you are induced to work together through the
    concept of "my country," or for an ideology which has been very
    carefully worked out and widely propagated so that you accept it; or
    you work together to carry out a plan which somebody has drawn up, a
    blueprint for Utopia.

    So, it is the plan, the idea, the authority which induces people to
    work together. This is generally called cooperation, and in it there
    is always the implication of reward or punishment, which means that
    behind such "cooperation" there is fear. You are always working for
    something--for the country, for the king, for the party, for God or
    the Master, for peace, or to bring about this or that reform. Your
    idea of cooperation is to work together for a particular result. You
    have an ideal--to build a perfect school, or what you will--towards
    which you are working, therefore you say cooperation is necessary.
    All this implies authority, does it not? There is always someone who
    is supposed to know what is the right thing to do, and therefore you
    say, "We must cooperate in carrying it out."

    Now, I don't call that cooperation at all. That is not cooperation,
    it is a form of greed, a form of fear, compulsion. Behind it there
    is the threat that if you don't "cooperate" the government won't
    recognize you, or the Five Year Plan will fail, or you will be sent
    to a concentration camp, or your country will lose the war, or you
    may not go to heaven. There is always some form of inducement, and
    where there is inducement there cannot be real cooperation.

    Nor is it cooperation when you and I work together merely because we
    have mutually agreed to do something. In any such agreement what is
    important is the doing of that particular thing, not working
    together. You and I may agree to build a bridge, or construct a
    road, or plant some trees together, but in that agreement there is
    always the fear of disagreement, the fear that I may not do my share
    and let you do the whole thing.

    So it is not cooperation when we work together through any form of
    inducement, or by mere agreement, because behind all such effort
    there is the implication of gaining or avoiding something.

    To me, cooperation is entirely different. Cooperation is the fun of
    being and doing together--not necessarily doing something in
    particular. Do you understand? *Young children normally have a
    feeling for being and doing together. Haven't you noticed this? They
    will cooperate in anything. There is no question of agreement or
    disagreement, reward or punishment; they just want to help. They
    cooperate instinctively, for the fun of being and doing together.*
    But grown-up people destroy this natural, spontaneous spirit of
    cooperation in children by saying, "If you do this I will give you
    that; if you don't do this I won't let you go to the cinema," which
    introduces the corruptive element.

    So, real cooperation comes, not through merely agreeing to carry out
    some project together, but with the joy, the feeling of
    togetherness, if one may use that word; because in that feeling
    there is not the obstinacy of personal ideation, personal opinion.

    When you know such cooperation, you will also know when not to
    cooperate, which is equally important. Do you understand? It is
    necessary for all of us to awaken in ourselves this spirit of
    cooperation, for then it will not be a mere plan or agreement which
    causes us to work together, but an extraordinary feeling of
    togetherness, the sense of joy in being and doing together without
    any thought of reward or punishment. That is very important. But it
    is equally important to know when not to cooperate; because if we
    are not wise we may cooperate with the unwise, with ambitious
    leaders who have grandiose schemes, fantastic ideas, like Hitler and
    other tyrants down through the ages. So we must know when not to
    cooperate; and we can know this only when we know the joy of real
    cooperation.

    This is a very important question to talk over, because when it is
    suggested that we work together, your immediate response is likely
    to be, "What for? What shall we do together?" In other words, the
    thing to be done becomes more important than the feeling of being
    and doing together; and when the thing to be done--the plan, the
    concept, the ideological Utopia--assumes primary importance, then
    there is no real cooperation. Then it is only the idea that is
    binding us together; and if one idea can bind us together, another
    idea can divide us. So, what matters is to awaken in ourselves this
    spirit of cooperation, this feeling of joy in being and doing
    together, without any thought of reward or punishment. Most young
    people have it spontaneously, freely, if it is not corrupted by
    their elders.
    "