[IAEP] [support-gang] When teaching restrains discovery

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 17:27:05 EST 2011

Hi Folks... The retired teacher talking here.....
"Discovery learning" in a properly prepared, semi-structured environment works. Look at the success of the Montessori method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_method

Intervention is helpful at times, but only as a last resort.  If a child is stumped and ready to give up and go on to other things, a little "nudge" in the right direction can open up new discoveries.

Actually, I discovered "discovery learning" myself as a young teacher.  Trying to apply it to math wasn't always easy.  That is probably why science seemed so much more fun to teach.

Another thing I discovered was Project Based Learning (BPL).  It started when I was teaching beginning Algebra classes of over 40 students.  "Why not try letting them work on things in teams like we do in science?, I thought.  When I had teams of 2, that cut my effective class size in half to 20+.  Groups of 4 gave me just 10+.

The kids loved it and I was able to gently "nudge" groups in the right direction when they were really stuck, praise successes, and suggest enrichment activities. Occasionally a student or parent would complain that my class was "noisy." But, it was good, productive noise.  They were learning!

BTW, does anyone remember the good old "new math" program called SSMCIS? (AKA the "Columbia Program", named after the university where it originated)  I Beta-tested it when it was still in the pre-publication stage.  Lots of discovery and PBL there.  It was a lot of fun, but they did have to  train us teachers first!

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=304&threadID=714464&messageID=7143356

More thoughts coming re the "Tiger Mom,"  kids outdoors, and the world we live in today.!  The "mom" will reply!

Caryl