[IAEP] Community Woes

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jan 4 23:46:53 EST 2011

Here's a very critical article on MeeGo:

 http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7929/

So, what does it have to do with us? Well, while MeeGo is a very
different type of project, some of the observations of the article would
also apply to our community. I thought it would be a a good starting
point for a good discussion about what could be improved in *our* camp.

To begin with, I've always thought that there isn't nearly enough
self-criticism in both Sugar Labs and OLPC. Exposing problems is a
necessary step towards fixing them, but we're often reluctant to do even
this first step, especially in public forums. In this regard, MeeGo is
lucky to have someone taking the time to point out some of the mistakes
that are making this project fail miserably in spite of huge amounts of
corporate funding.

What do *you* think are the worst Sugar community woes?
What could we do to improve the situation throughout 2011?

(Note, there are two separate questions above. Trying to answer also the
latter makes the difference between a cheap rant and truly constructive
criticism... but I guess even the cheap rants are better than complete
silence).