[IAEP] [support-gang] How Many XOs?

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 23 09:33:13 EST 2011

Am 23.02.2011 14:19, schrieb Robert Fadel:
>> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 23:06, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>>> I agree with Walter.  About two million.  I don't have access to the
>>> internal figures.
>>>
>>> See also 1,834,500 in a probably partial list of laptop orders:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child#Summary_of_laptop_orders
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Deployments
>> There are over 2.1 million XOs in the field as of January, 2011.
> we update the wiki and the map every 4-8 weeks based on the actual
> order and producation schedules
>
> a mapping of many of those same deployments:
> http://one.laptop.org/map

I still don't buy that 2.1 million figure. Ordered maybe, shipped by
Quanta possibly, but definitely not "in the hands of children and teachers".

The data on http://one.laptop.org/map also adds up to about 1,800,000
with no significant omissions that I can find (definitely none that add
up to 300,000) so I think this is pretty much the upper bound right now.

Peru had 250,000 XOs in the field (with 40,000 more in a warehouse in
Lima) as of late August 2010, I have a hard time believing that since
then an additional 620,000 XO have actually been distributed.

The map and corresponding wiki pages also indicate that in Rwanda
110,000 XOs have been distributed when at least as of three weeks ago
that number was actually closer to 15,000.

In the U.S. G1G1 numbers also seem to be included in the total 95,000 tally.

So overall my personal *guesstimate* at this point is that 1.5 million
is at the very best the *number of children and teachers with an XO*
with a more likely figure being somewhere in the area of 1.2 million.

I know others don't think these details matter, but as I explained to
Robert back in Vienna exactly one year ago I believe getting these
numbers right is important considering how historically OLPC hasn't been
too good in matching the numbers it has thrown around ($100 laptop, 1W
laptop, etc.)

Cheers,
Christoph

--