[IAEP] [support-gang] Reminder: STEP UP OLPC Fundraiser in DC on Feb 24th

Mike Lee curiouslee at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:47:02 EST 2011

I can attest to seeing firsthand Chris' working IBM Thinkpad adapter
back in 2008. Photos, of course:



On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Chris Leonard
<cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Beth Santos <beth at waveplace.org> wrote:
>> Lately, however, we have been having problems with chargers and need to
>> get some new ones that won't break so easily during power surges. That's one
>> of the reasons why we're having a fundraiser to get better quality materials
>> for our class and to see if we can't grow it even more.
> Beth,
> You are certainly familiar with the fact that the XO plug specs are somewhat
> non-standard.
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification#External_connectors
> In particular, the 1.65mm center pin was an odd size choice.
> I've had the opportunity to use try IBM / Lenovo ThinkPad chargers with some
> success.  This is in spite of the fact that the IBM chargers have a center
> hole of 2.5mm.  The external size (5.5mm) is the same on ThinkPads and XOs
> (at least XO 1.0).
> The ones I have are P/N 73P4502, and the really cool thing about these is
> that they can either plug into the wall or into a 12V DC source (e.g. car
> cigarette lighter).  The extra space in the center hole causes them to
> wobble a little, but they work just fine and the power they supply is
> compatible with the XO's specs.
> Input1: AC 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz (worldwide use)
> Output: DC 16V 4.55A
> Power: 72W
> Outlet: 2-prong US
> Input2: DC 10.5-18 VDC, 8A
> Output: DC 16V 4.55A
> Outlet: 12V DC (car cigarette lighter type)
> Connecter size:
> Internal Diameter: 2.5mm
> External Diameter: 5.5mm
> Googling the part number (73P4502) and "ThinkPad" shows that these are still
> available for purchase at a wide range of price points.
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=thinkpad+p%2Fn+73p4502
> For example:
> (6 new for: US$3.54 each)
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014SJISC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001N1RCQA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HWWCNBQERZ2XW59H72E
> (10+ units for: US$16.11 each)
> http://www.hootoo.com/ibm-thinkpad-73p4485-laptop-ac-adapter-16v-45a-p-56754.html?gclid=CKnb28uqmKcCFYh_5Qod_wuBeQ
> I think that P/N 73P4485 may also be compatible, but I don't have one in
> hand.  That may be the version that doesn't have the DC input option.
> Of course, you can always order OEM XO green chargers, but you say you
> haven't had much luck with those.
> (111 available for: US$20.00 each)
> http://www.ilovemyxo.com/product/xo-power-adapter.html
> I happen to have a spare IBM charger in hand and if you haven't had the
> chance to field test one, I could be persuaded to part with it in exchange
> for some help getting Haitian localizers signed up and working in Pootle on
> the Sugar (and eToys) translations.  :-)
> cjl
> _______________________________________________
> IAEP -- It's An Education Project (not a laptop project!)
> IAEP at lists.sugarlabs.org
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/listinfo/iaep

More information about the IAEP mailing list