[IAEP] For Sugar Everywhere, Google-ize!

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 17 11:08:48 EST 2011

On 02/16/2011 10:01 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
>> Stepping back for a moment, the key question is: how can we get Sugar
>> out of the window manager and network manager and activity update and
>> UI toolkit business, where it's just not keeping up (and wasting our
>> efforts), and concentrate on the stuff we're all really here for:
>> enabling kids to learn and explore and share?  How much can we strip
>> away and still have Sugar?
>
> If you want to abstract away, get far away from the computer and the
> OS and target HTML5. You'll have some significant limitations, but
> that's the tradeoff.

I agree.  IMHO, we either rewrite the Activities in W3C standards for
near-universal compatibility, or we don't rewrite them at all.  In the
latter case, we could consider shifting to Meego or Gnome-shell, but both
are still dangerously beta.

> Forget about kids in those places ("they'll get broadband-quality
> internet... eventually") and yeah, we can do it all with JS and your
> favourite language on the server side.

FWIW, we've thought a lot about HTML as a toolkit for Activities that
don't need a network or server.  Lucian Branescu wrote a lot of the code
as part of

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Webified

With some help from Michael Stone, we even drew up some ideas for
serverless LAN collaboration:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/WebCollab

I think we have a lot of great options and wonderful prototypes, but
without a command structure backed by cash very few of them will ever
reach production.

--Ben