[IAEP] For Sugar Everywhere, Google-ize!

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Wed Feb 16 22:32:35 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I look back at when OLPC started, and some things have changed in the
> world _we_ live in. But the kids we want to help with... their world
> hasn't changed much. They still haven't got internet for starters.
> Some things might be a tad closer -- lower costs per laptop, tablets
> are possible -- but connectivity isn't any easier or any cheaper.

This seems to me to be a red herring.  What does connectivity have to do
with your choice of OS?

The changes in the world "we" live in have driven down the costs (both
software and hardware) of building certain types of computing applications
and devices for learning.  If we chose wisely, we can take advantage of
these to offer "the rest" better, cheaper, and lower-power devices to enable
learning.  But you have to keep moving.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )