[IAEP] For Sugar Everywhere, Google-ize!

Seth Woodworth seth at isforinsects.com
Wed Feb 16 21:30:29 EST 2011

> Hi folks.  I wish to make a radical proposal:

> Sugar’s days on OLPC hardware are numbered.  Sugar as presently written is
not developing quickly enough, and hasn’t made significant progress towards
supporting the new touchscreen devices coming down the pike.

Scott, your suggestion is radical, but not without precedent.  ErikG was
discussing it at OLPC in 2009, and I’ve been rabble-rousing on the same
topic (as Bernie can attest). To that end, I’ve been collecting information
on the Android ecosystem. I think it possible to port Sugar-like features to
the Android platform, without distributing an independent OS build.

 Home and UI:

The “Home” in Android is provided by an Android app[0].  The home activity
is replaceable in many Android devices. One popular open source launcher
released a pro version and made $150k revenue in one month[1].  To me that
is evidence that home replacements are possible and at least potentially
successful.

If ‘someone’ (that someone being SugarLabs or another group) choose to bring
over core Sugar ideas to Android, the network and friends screens can
readily access data from the android API[2][3].

 Collaboration:

I know little of how Sugar handles collaboration other than vague mentions
of XMPP. Android has a services framework[6] that allows for hooks into
something like a messaging framework (which I seem to have running on my
Nexus One Android phone).  That being said, this weekend I streamed video
from my phone’s camera to a set of video goggles.

 Modification:

What are hoping and allowing students to create?  Out of >1m students
possibly running sugar, we have had very very few documented cases of
students editing and modifying existing activities.  This is very possibly
due to lack of information gathering, but the numbers are still likely
small.

Creation on Android is possible.  In-app creation exists with several
implementations of Logo available on the system, (but nothing as good as
Walter’s TurtleArt).

App creation sort of exists: The Android Scripting Environment allows for
writing very functional programs in Python, Ruby or other languages, with
limited UI options.  PyGame[5] has recently been ported to Android also.
 Google with the MIT Scratch team created App Inventor, which is Scratch for
Android apps, but I think currently requires an internet connection.

 Lastly, Android has a vibrant, active development community, with a robust
SDK and IDE tools.  There exist books (free and otherwise) on Android
development.  And any “activity” developed for AndSugar, also have a direct
market of several million devices.  If a developer is motivated by getting
their software into the hands of users, Android has a lot of eyeballs.

 [0]
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/apps/Launcher2.git;a=summary

[1] http://www.androidguys.com/2011/02/09/paid-apps-pay-150k-month/

[2]