[IAEP] For Sugar Everywhere, Google-ize!

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Feb 16 20:53:02 EST 2011

Hi Christoph,

   > So based on these assumptions, given the limited amount of
   > resources available, and assuming I haven't missed anything your
   > suggestion would basically mean sacrificing the potential to
   > significantly improve the experience of the current >1 million
   > Sugar users to develop something for unproven potential future
   > markets and users.

I'm not so quick to posit a zero-sum allocation of resources here --
we haven't got everyone interested in free educational software on
this list yet, right?  And having a different platform that's more
accessible (i.e. runs cross-platform in browsers) or more hackable
more developers into the fold.

So I don't think this is a good enough reason to dismiss radical new
work out of hand.  Of course there are people interested in making
the current Sugar environment more powerful for its large installed
base, and there are people interested in new cutting-edge technology
designs, and they aren't necessarily the same people.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child