[IAEP] Material, ideas, slides to talk about Sugar?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 23:05:07 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm giving two presentations about OLPC in Switzerland later this week
> and so I'm currently in the process of planning them as well as
> (re-)designing the accompanying slides.
>
> I realized that I'm not entirely happy about the part where I talk about
> Sugar which essentially hasn't changed since mid-2008 (slides 35 to 42
> in this slide-deck:
> http://events.ccc.de/congress/2009/Fahrplan/attachments/1487_26c3_derndorfer.pdf)
> Now I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve / revamp that section.
>
> One of the two talks will be in front of an audience mainly consisting
> of teachers and IT administrators from Swiss and German schools and
> cantons. Hence I'm particularly interested in hearing what people who
> have presented in front of such an education-focused crowd talked on
> when it comes to Sugar.

I typically try to make the point that the culture of FOSS is a
culture that sets the expectation of engagement and that is
synergistic with the goals of learning. Walk them through an activity
that enables the end user to make modifications: Memorize, Abacus,
Turtle Art, etc.

-walter

> Thanks in advance,
> Christoph