[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2011-12-01

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Dec 1 17:11:26 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Carlos Rabassa <carnen at mac.com> wrote:
> Walter,
>
>  thanks for taking a whole point of your report to discuss a subject I
> brought up.
>
> Unfortunately my point or its further clarification were not clear enough.
>  You are still not getting it right.
>
> The only reason I offered a link to the game "Circle-the-Cat" was to offer
> an example of an easy to use application.
>
> What I meant by that is that you are already using it after a single clic on
> the link I sent.
>
> No downloading or installation is required.  It works with any computer
> connected to internet (or to a school server??),  using any operating
> system.

Carlos,

In some of my projects, we don't have the luxury of a school server.
How would this work in a "XO only" environment?

> Let me offer another example,  an application I constantly use:
>
> Real time translation
> http://tradukka.com/
>
> ¿Want to test it quickly?
>
> I just translated the portion of your message that was written in French.
>  This is the result,  without any retouching:
>
> "I have made it longer because I did not have time to make it shorter."
>

> By the way,  if you tried to impress and/or intimidate me with your French,
>  let me tell you that in the public high school I attended in Montevideo,
>  we had French courses during 4 years.
>
> At the end of that period we all were able to read without any problem and
> to visit France or Quebec for business or pleasure without any communication
> problem.
>
> What you actually gave me with the French quote is another good example of
> how to alienate uruguayan teachers.
>
> Here in Uruguay we speak Spanish and that is the language teachers teach us
> in school.  Not quite sure if they still teach French in public schools.
>
> Also,  looking now at the meaning of the quote,  I have to admit you
> perfectly describe the situation of Sugar.
>
> My question is now:
>
> ¿Do the children have the time to wait until Sugar is easily usable by
> everyone,  not geeks only?

We have children in India who use Sugar quite nicely without any prior
computer experience
(http://bhagmalpur.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/so-whats-working/). In
fact, I would add that my personal usability with Sugar and GNOME is
better than my usability with MacOSX, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and
KDE.

I don't buy your assertion.

cheers,
Sameer