[IAEP] Chess activities

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Fri Apr 29 20:16:55 EDT 2011

On Thu, April 28, 2011 2:00 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> I came across an article about the educational benefits of learning chess:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13140772
>
> So I thought it'd be a great idea to include a chess activity on our
> XOs. To my surprise, all I could find on aslo were ported GCompris
> programmes.
>
> Are there any _native_ Sugar activities that allow children to learn
> chess and play with their friends via Sugar collaboration?

Sugar Labs and the American Go Association are working on Playgo, a native
activity for learning and playing go (weiqi, baduk, igo) in Sugar. AGA is
also offering content, including materials for school staff and teachers
to teach go, organize clubs and tournaments, and so on.

Some people claim that learning go has even greater benefits than learning
chess. It has certainly been a much greater challenge to create a
competent go-playing program than a champion-level chess-playing program.