[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] GPL non compliance? was Re: GPL non-compliance, was Re: GPLv3

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:53:51 EDT 2011

Sigh.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Yamaplos . <yamaplos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys, with all due respect, this is reaching a level of silly befuddlement.
>
> Maybe all source IS available somewhere somehow, thus GPL's honor is
> safe, and at least technically there is compliance, and saying it
> ain't so is untrue.
>
> Which is not worth a "vintén", since such so called "availability" is
> so inconvenient that the actual purpose and expectation - that people
> can freely access the software, and/or do software modifications in
> their machines- is not there. That is what us Sudacas are trying to
> get across, and what some don't seem to get in this debate.
>
> What the northern experts are trying to tell us is that there is no
> violation of the GPL. It seems that they may be right, technically,
> but apparently to actually access source code is something totally
> beyond most normal developers. Usual distribution of software complies
> with GPL 2 section 3 in easier ways, like a plain-text document, or an
> URL where you get such plain text document.
>
> So what we got here is that Ceibal might be OK with the law, while the
> Sabines are basically expected to relax and enjoy it. Curiously, the
> experts so far have told me how to access and modify such source, but
> none have pointed to someone who had been successful at it and
> bypassed the blocks built in.

What the "northern experts" are trying to say is that we are bound by
the law, but no one, north or south, has said "relax and enjoy it."
This is an unfair characterization. As per my previous post, rather
than pointing fingers, why don't we start coding?

Can we please move on?

-walter

--
Walter Bender