[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] GPL non compliance? was Re: GPL non-compliance, was Re: GPLv3

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 14:23:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Gabriel Eirea <geirea at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>

>>> No, The "plan Ceibal" don't give the root access neither a developer key for
>>> programmers, with the new OS upgrade.
>>
>> This is new information and if true, quite regrettable. However, I am
>> still unclear in regard to the implications to Sugar itself. You do
>> not need root access to build and run Sugar in $HOME. Have they
>> somehow disabled that ability? How?
>
> Actually, Walter, new information would have been otherwise.
>
> Of course they don't prevent the user from building the sources and
> installing them in $HOME. This may be used by a competent lawyer to
> prove that the GPL is not violated, and he may or may not have
> success, but please don't pretend it is not a big issue. For all
> practical purposes children in Uruguay can't modify Sugar and they
> can't install new applications in Gnome.

Gabriel,

Please don't put words in my mouth and please don't suggest that I am
trying to defend a policy of making it difficult for the children to
modify the code on their laptops. I have been pressing hard for root
access in .uy for a very long time and I am very disappoint to hear --
just today -- that it will continue to be denied.

But that is not the question on the table, Sugar Labs has an
obligation to ensure that there is not a violation of its license and
I have yet to see evidence that there is such a violation. Alas, it is
exactly the lawyers we need to satisfy, so please don't condemn me for
being particular about the details.

regards.

-walter

--