[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] GPL non compliance? was Re: GPL non-compliance, was Re: GPLv3

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Apr 26 13:51:55 EDT 2011

On 11-04-26 at 02:40pm, nanonano at mediagala.com wrote:
>>Walter Bender wrote:
>>Is there evidence of a violation of the GPL?
>> Are the children of Uruguay are being denied access to Sugar source
>> or the ability to modify it?

> I can Answer both questions:
>

> YES AND YES.
>
> The children in Uruguay are being denied the ability to modify the XO
> Sugar.
>
> In Uruguay , If a child ask the "Centro Ceibal" for a developer key
> the answer is "NO".
>
> My answer is not based on somtething that I read on Internet, I heard
> it with my ears.

How is that a violation of GPL license?

I believe they do have full access to all source code - just is not
allowed to execute it (conveniently) on the hardware it resides on.

Tivoization - as I understand it - is when the hardware locks the code
in a way so that it can be executed but sources for the executed code is
not available.  That, I believe, is not the case for GPL-licensed code
on the XOs even when the XOs are locked down.

GPL code must be _readable_ - it need not be executable.

 - Jonas