[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] GPL non compliance? was Re: GPL non-compliance, was Re: GPLv3

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:26:00 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Gabriel Eirea <geirea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fact 1: in Plan Ceibal the XO 1.0 and XO 1.5-HS don't provide access
> to root.

Yes, but as Walter indicates, I understand it is allowed in newer OSs.
In any case I am aware of efforts to make it available.

> This means that Sugar can't be modified by children.

Well, that is not correct. You *can* modify Sugar and run your
modified version without root.

> Fun
> things like changing the home view layout or changing the XO icon,
> among many other things, are impossible

Possible. Not as trivial as yum install foo but a script can be
written to automate it.

> useless because children can install absolutely no additional software
> packages (they can't do "yum install").

Um - again you _can_ install sw in your homedir. Not as practical but possible.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions