[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] GPL non compliance? was Re: GPL non-compliance, was Re: GPLv3

Gabriel Eirea geirea at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:10:11 EDT 2011

There are apparently a few facts from Plan Ceibal's deployment that
are not well known in the community. This surprises me, given that
some of you have been here in Uruguay and I was under the assumption
that you were well aware of these facts. I will refrain to give my
opinion and describe a few facts relevant to this discussion.

Fact 1: in Plan Ceibal the XO 1.0 and XO 1.5-HS don't provide access
to root.This means that Sugar can't be modified by children. Fun
things like changing the home view layout or changing the XO icon,
among many other things, are impossible (Sugar activities, on the
other hand, can be changed since they are located in the user's home
directory). This also means that although the XO 1.5-HS comes with
Dextrose and a dual Sugar-Gnome desktop, the Gnome desktop is nearly
useless because children can install absolutely no additional software
packages (they can't do "yum install").

Fact 2: Plan Ceibal does not have a public and known process in place
for giving developer keys. If you ask to the call center, they have no
idea what you are talking about. If you ask people from the technical
department, they say the developer keys are only generated for
specific projects that require them, at universities or companies.

Fact 3: for at least 3 years the response from some members of the
technical team of Plan Ceibal was that they were looking into ways to
lift these restrictions to the user but they have been unable to.

Fact 4: there was (is) a pilot project in the department of Treinta y
Tres where they gave 3.000 or 5.000 XO 1.0 (quantity depending on
sources) with an additional SD card that allowed booting with Windows
XP. For this being possible, the tight security implemented in the
rest of the country in the name of deterring theft was disabled. In
order to boot with Sugar the children should take the SD out,
something that apparently everyone was unaware of. According to [0]
the XO laptops were donated by OLPC, while the software licenses and
training were donated by Microsoft. Very little is known publicly
about this pilot, in particular the evaluation that was supposed to
happen.

These are facts. I hope this helps the community take an informed
decision on this issue.

Regards,

Gabriel

[0] http://www.ces.edu.uy/ces/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1208:plan-ceibal-en-ces&catid=101:plan-ceibal-ces&Itemid=192