[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2011-04-24

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 12:38:09 EDT 2011

==Sugar Digest==

1. Amidst all the heated discussion about software licenses, it is
worth stepping back a moment to see what people are actually doing on
the ground with Sugar. Check out
http://proyectofedora.org/argentina/?p=320 for an example of how
Turtle Art has been modified by some of our end users!!  Free Software
rocks.

2. I somehow misread the race schedule: the Sugar Labs team is not
returned to Uruguay for the Vuelta de Uruguay this year (Team
Chipolte/Sugar Labs won the Ruta de la Americas in Uruguay earlier
this year). Nonetheless, we will continue with our plans to engage the
children of Uruguay in participating in the race. With help from
Ceibal Jam, RAP Ceibal, ''El Pais'', RIT, and the Sugar Labs marketing
team, we now have a site enable for blogging about the race (See
http://www.sugarlabs.org/vueltaciclista).

3. While we were looking the other way, we surpassed 5-million
activities downloads on the Sugar Labs activity server.

4. In a follow-up exercise to the Massachusetts 4th Grade math project
[http://wiki.suagrlabs.org/go/Math4Team], Claudia Urrea and I have
been developing a correlation between Sugar activities and the Florida
4th-Grade math curriculum (See
[http://wiki.suagrlabs.org/go/Math4Team/Florida]). Also, check out
[http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Innovation_in_Evaluation the preliminary
write up on the Assessment Summit] (more details to follow).

===In the community===

5. Cynthia Solomon has put her excellent book, co-authored by Margaret
Minsky and Brian Harvey, on Logo programming, ''LogoWorks: Challenging
Programs in Logo'', on line (See http://logoworks.wikispaces.com/).
There is also a very nice preface by Marvin Minsky
(http://logoworks.wikispaces.com/Preface). All the the examples can be
run in Turtle Blocks.

6. Don't miss EduJam (May 5-7) and Sugar Camp (May 8-9) in Montevideo.

===Sugar Labs===

Gary Martin has generated a SOM from the past few weeks of discussion
on the IAEP mailing list.

http://wiki.suagrlabs.org/go/File:2011-April-16-22-som.jpg (79 emails)
http://wiki.suagrlabs.org/go/File:2011-Apr-9-15-som.jpg (59 emails)
http://wiki.suagrlabs.org/go/File:2011-Apr-2-8-som.jpg (58 emails)