[IAEP] New activity from OLPC France

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Sat Apr 23 13:39:23 EDT 2011

On Fri, April 22, 2011 4:59 am, Stefanie Nobel wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>

> Certainly, my goal is to make it customizable as far as possible. I plan
> provide the admin with the possibility to adjust the databases, in order
> adapt the content to the local context (e.g. diseases like obesity or
> diabetes). For now I am thinking of three different databases:

Don't forget the nutritional components of AIDS, malaria, drug-resistant
TB, cholera, river blindness, and extreme dietary deficiencies, among
others that plague developing countries.

> -         One for all *aliments* (in natural state as well as in prepared
> state like pureed tomato) with their nutritional value

There is a fairly good USDA table covering all of that for foods commonly
available in the US. It needs to be extended to cover other countries and
other cultures. Eating acorns, for example, by Native Americans, or
insects in many places, or poisonous yams in parts of Africa, after you
extract the poison.

> -         The second one includes all nutritional value needs of the
> *human
> body*, their daily dose and the period how long this value can be stored

plus the results of mild and extreme deficiencies, and methods of
providing nutrients to those suffering extreme deprivation, who can die
from suddenly eating normally. (Documented in liberated Nazi concentration
camps, and others like them.)

> -         And the last one with “*activities*” and the value how many this
> activity consume a certain nutritional value
>

> The last database is the most individual one. Activity means here not only
> a kind of sport; it can also mean a season or a disease. So I name any
> particular condition an activity, when it consumes a nutritional value.

Excellent.

> Finally, to answer your question, I try to make it customizable by
> offering several databases of activities.

We will want to be able to fully localize the software and the databases.