[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] ANNOUNCE: Moving Sugar to GPLv3+

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Fri Apr 22 19:47:44 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 22 2011, Chris Ball wrote:
> I think you've repeatedly ignored Scott's claim that you can't modify
> COPYING or the source files because that would be *changing* the
> license, rather than taking advantage of GPLv3 redistribution rights.
> Can you ask Brett or someone at the FSF what the right thing to do is?

I chatted with some FSF staffers on IRC, they agree with Bernie's
interpretation that modifying COPYING and the source headers *is*
the way that you "choose to redistribute under the GPLv3+ instead",
and that it's a modification of the license that was explicitly
allowed ahead of time by the "or later" clause.

They haven't yet been able to find any documentation that explains
this or backs it up, though.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>   <http://printf.net/>