[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] ANNOUNCE: Moving Sugar to GPLv3+

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Fri Apr 22 11:29:54 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>  -  What's the upside?
>
>  - At what point do we say "hey, this has scant upside, and negative
> controversy around it, let's spend our time in productive things
> instead"?

This is the crux of my objection as well.  I see Sugar being used as a
pawn in some larger argument (about I know not what) and want no part
of it.  No compelling reason to change license; let's stay as far away
from that rathole as possible.

People are already free to make a gnewsense of themselves and
distribute combined works under GPLv3 terms.  Fedora-based distros are
arguably doing just that.  But going through and changing license
information in everyone's source files without their explicit consent
(and denying the right to do future distribution under the terms of
the GPLv2 *is* a change: "GPLv2 or later" != "GPLv3 or later") --
that's just causing a ruckus for no reason.  Please don't start that
fight.
   --scott

--
      ( http://cscott.net )