[IAEP] in 1 HOUR! OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (on #olpc-meeting, 2PM Boston Time, Fri Apr 15)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Apr 15 13:05:58 EDT 2011

Please join us, voting for the latest OLPC/Sugar community projects
over IRC Live Chat, to make the best project allocations & mentoring
relationships--starting right here:

http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* Preview Germany, Austria and Switzerland explaining their amazing
   community-building work Monday April 18, at 3PM Boston Time:
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OlpcMAP

* Fast Review of the 8 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals.
   Plz join us advocating for & reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

  1. ICT In-service Training & EDUCARE - Cameroon
  2. Kopila Valley School Computer Lab - Surkhet, Nepal & Tiburon,
California
  3. Cleveland School Intersession - Santa Barbara, California
  4. Village Ventures - Mali & Malaga, Spain
  5. OLPC Bhagmalpur - Haryana, India
  6. FAMLI/Audubon MS Project Update - Los Angeles, California
  7. Canada Reading Literacy
  8. Robogames - NYC, New York

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. ICT In-service Training & EDUCARE - Cameroon
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=78644
    www.techcefacos.org
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 20 XOs over 9 months

    Project Objectives: (excerpt)
    This training programme and its supportive initiatives descript as
    ‘EDUCARE’ is aim at enhancing human resource development and
    capacity building; as well as the exploitation of best ICT
    Resource base tools and approach to promote the teaching/learning
    of ICT in the Basic Education sector Cameroon.

    So, this training programme is to supportive EDUCARE initiative
    like e-kids computing project is an holistic ICT approach for
    enabling children between the ages of 4 and 14 to become
    digitally inclusive in their learning, creative and social
    interaction process as the only great channel of this
    'information age' leading them to a brighter future-Despite the
    many educational, psychological, positive or negative objective(s),
    of children’s use of computer TechCeFaCos NGO, answers the question
    of what exactly children will do with it… Be good users of computer
    systems; learn how to creatively interact with the machine as an
    information tool etc with core objectives base on the following:

    To meet TechCeFaCos' mission of promoting creativity and
    technological empowerment, that coincides with recent government
    educational reforms such as the introduction of 'National Cultural'
    and 'ICT Studies' into the national syllabuses for English speaking
    primary schools in Cameroon...

2. Kopila Valley School Computer Lab - Surkhet, Nepal & Tiburon, California
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=78789
    http://blinknow.org
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 5 XOs over undetermined months

    Project Objectives:
    We are father and son; giving back to the third world at an early age
    can have a long term positive effect.  We will prepare the eBay
    computers together, and sowill also be able to teach the local
    Nepalese teachers how to use them.

    Once in Nepal, we will be visiting an elementary and middle school in a
    remote district with 250 students (Kopila Valley School). We will
instruct
    the local teachers (who don’t have experience with computers) on how
to use
    the OLPCs so that they can teach their students and develop learning
    projects around the computers.

    If this is successful, we plan to purchase additional OLPCs and either
    transport them ourselves, have them transported, or ship them to the
school,
    to increase the school’s inventory.

    We assume that a medium-term build-out will be approximately 25
computers
    for this school. With further interest from other donors, there is the
    potential for this to expand to one laptop for each student.

    There may be opportunities to broaden the project to other area schools,
    which will lever the knowledge we gain with the implementation at Kopila
    Valley School.

3. Cleveland School Intersession - Santa Barbara, California
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=78790
    http://phillandfriedolpc.wordpress.com
    http://olpcMAP.net?id=874003
    http://mcsclasses.org
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 5-30 XOs over 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    Introduce laptops to Hispanic students with limited access to computers.
    Test the use of laptop activities effect on California standards
test scores.

    Cleveland is on a year round schedule. Will research web sites with
    interactive games and activities that reinforce specific standards.
    Will write a curriculum and basic use guide. Will demo XO computer to
    a classroom teacher. Teacher will introduce the use of the XO during
    the summer session starting in July, 2011. I will support the teacher
    in implementing the program. We will evaluate score before and after
    using the laptops for 1 year.

4. Village Ventures - Mali & Malaga, Spain
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=78963
    http://villageventures.blogspot.com
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 10 XOs over 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    We need every school in our area to have sufficient computers so that
    each student can have the opportunity to learn IT skills and world
    knowledge as well as having the opportunity to understand internet and
    link into other international schools.We have other schools in Spain
and
    England waiting for our schools in Mali to be able to communicate with
    one another in French and via this medium set up a link to have a
    international school exchange program.This way our African children can
    gain more skills and understanding of different cultures and visa versa.

    Already each of our school have one laptop as we have no
electricity, to
    have desktop computers. As our schools develop skills and pay for
    internet connection we are buying solar panels so that the laptops can
    be continually charged, obviously this is not ideal, hence the reason
    for contacting or connecting with your organization.

5. OLPC Bhagmalpur - Haryana, India
    http://olpcmap.net/?id=799001
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_India/Bhagmalpur
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=79156
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 30 XOs over 24 months

    Project Objectives: (excerpts)
    This project aims to use an alternative distribution model of granting
    the XO to a child in each household in the village. The child must be
    approx 5 to 14 years of age. This model is similar to the Grameen Bank
    model, where a cell phone is given to the woman of the house, who then
    leases the services out as part of a microfinance scheme. In our
    project, the XO will be “wielded” by the youngest child of school
    going age (highest expected ROI on learning) but there is no
    microfinance scheme attached. This approach has raised some interest
    in key OLPCers, such as Barbara Barry and Mary Lou Jepsen (it was Mary
    Lou’s observation at OLPC SF Community Summit, that this model shares
    much in common with Grameen’s model).

    We (Verma family) are financing all incidental expenses, including
    power, Internet access, school server, book server, and any training
    that may be needed by providing space at our home in Bhagmalpur. One
    of the rooms in the front of the house will be used as a learning
    space of sorts to support charging, trouble shooting and a quiet place
    away from other environs so that the children can sit alone or in
    groups and explore.

    1. Collect all XOs in Bhagmalpur
    2. Install School Server (June 2011)
    3. Disburse XOs (June 2011)
    4. Gather feedback (August 2011). This data will be gathered based
       on the monitoring and evaluation model of http://olpcjamaica.org.jm
    5. Hindi Wikipedia (August 2011)
    6. Voice over IP (January 2012)

6. FAMLI/Audubon MS Project Update - Los Angeles, California
    http://famliolpcsocalaudubonms.wordpress.com
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=79244
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 5 Broken XOs for 14 months

    Project Objectives:
    Students and volunteers will use the repair guide on the olpc wiki to
    learn to make simple repairs on the XO computers.  See blog:
    http://famliolpcsocalaudubonms.wordpress.com

7. Canada Reading Literacy
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 1 XO-1 for undetermind months

    Project Objectives:
    Details to follow from Walter Bender.

8. Robogames - NYC, New York
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XO-1s for undetermined months