[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Exploring Sugar-on-Tablets

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Wed Apr 13 13:01:15 EDT 2011

At Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:55:59 -0400,
Erik Blankinship wrote:

> Before completely dismissing the mac ppc architecture, it is noteworthy that the platform has a bright retrograde future
> in tablets.
> http://blogger-off.com/apple-powerbook-g4-12-tablet/

  Yup.  A lesson we learned is that locking ourselves into one
particular processor or OS is not a good idea, and trying to predict
the particularity of future platforms is not going to work.  Make
things truly portable and adapt whenever a new thing come out is the
right strategy.

  As Caryl pointed out, Etoys is designed to achieve this.  A small
self-contained virtualized environment that has very little external
dependency seems to be a way to go.

  JavaScript on DOM may be good, and probably the key is to implement
DOM in JavaScript so that it is portable to platforms with a
JavaScript engine (along the idea of Dan Amelang) and perhaps write
the grpahics engine also.

http://github.com/damelang/mico/

Experimental version of Lively Kernel worked on it, so it may be a
good direction to pursue...

-- Yoshiki