[IAEP] Khan academy content

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 06:09:14 EDT 2011

Instructional videos such as Khan Academy have a place, but we need to be
aware of their limitations. The following blog post points some of these out
with some good supporting examples.

http://fnoschese.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/khan-academy-is-an-indictment-of-education/

Regards Roland

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi...
>
> When I first saw the Khan Academy videos, I didn't like them. They just
> seemed to be the traditional "Sage on a Stage" style of teaching.... not at
> all collaborative or constructionist. But then, I watched his TED talk (
> http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html )
> and, now, I am a "convert."
>
> Taken alone... forget it!  But combined with his program of practice
> exercises and "awards" ( http://www.khanacademy.org/exercisedashboard ),
> the Khan Academy material is excellent!  Also, teachers who "flip" their
> classes and use a collaborative setting in their classrooms should find a
> lot more time for individual student attention where needed. Students who
> "get it" right away can also re-enforce their learning by helping others.
> Better understanding and achievement for all students should be a logical
> result.
>
> Caryl
>
> > Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:12:56 -0400
> > From: ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu
> > To: iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org
> > Subject: Re: [IAEP] Khan academy content
>

> > You can download around 1000 of the Khan Academy videos in OGV format
> > (playable on XO laptops) from Archive.org Here's an English/Spanish
> > index of relevant categories http://mapmeld.com/khan_categories.html
> >
> > If you're skeptical or haven't seen his videos, his talk sparked a great
> > discussion about math education on Hacker News:
> > http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2307532
> >
> > For more recent videos, including YouTube, there's this media guide:
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/MediaGuide
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nick Doiron
> >

> > On Mon, April 4, 2011 3:57 pm, Chris Leonard wrote:
> > > I haven't really looked into this, but I thought it might be of
> interest
> > > to some on the list.
> > >

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/04/the-khan-academy-and-educ_n_8443
> > > 90.html
> > >

> > > http://www.khanacademy.org/
> > >

> > > One might imagine these videos being stored on the School Server for
> > > local access. According to the page below it is all cc-by-sa
> > >

> https://sites.google.com/a/khanacademy.org/forge/home/mission-principles-
> > > and-values
> > >
> > > I was very happy to see this statement "begin to translate the lessons
> > > into Arabic, Bengali, French, German, Hindi-Urdu, Indonesian, Mandarin,
> > > Portuguese, Russian and Spanish so they could be distributed globally.
> "
> > >

> > > This page covers their localization process:
> > >

> > > http://www.khanacademy.org/contribute

> > > IAEP -- It's An Education Project (not a laptop project!)
> > > IAEP at lists.sugarlabs.org

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College