[IAEP] Khan academy content

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 16:41:14 EDT 2011

Hi...
When I first saw the Khan Academy videos, I didn't like them. They just seemed to be the traditional "Sage on a Stage" style of teaching.... not at all collaborative or constructionist. But then, I watched his TED talk ( http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html ) and, now, I am a "convert."
Taken alone... forget it!  But combined with his program of practice exercises and "awards" ( http://www.khanacademy.org/exercisedashboard ), the Khan Academy material is excellent!  Also, teachers who "flip" their classes and use a collaborative setting in their classrooms should find a lot more time for individual student attention where needed. Students who "get it" right away can also re-enforce their learning by helping others. Better understanding and achievement for all students should be a logical result.
Caryl