[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2011-04-02

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 14:09:27 EDT 2011

==Sugar Digest==

1. Microsoft To Open Source Windows
[http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/72690] was the April Fools
Day spoof announcement that got more press, but Sam Greenfeld's spoof
is a lot less obvious and a lot more engaging (See the email thread:
Possible XO Graphics Optimization Technique
[http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2011-April/031679.html]).

2. I have been fielding input regarding the 4th Grade Math project
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Math4Team) and the Sugar math collection
[http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/collection/math]. There
are still some missing activities, but it is by-and-large a rich list.
Next, we need to fill in the table correlating the activities with the
curricula goals (Please contribute at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Math4Team/Resources/Curriculum_Chart).

3. Compare the relative interest of XO and Justin Bieber in Uruguay
[http://www.google.com/intl/es-419/press/zeitgeist2010/regions/uy.html]
and Mexico [http://www.google.com/intl/es-419/press/zeitgeist2010/regions/mx.html].
While there is obviously a vast difference in access to XOs between
the two countries, it raises the question of whether we can use
measures such as these as an indicator of how access to computing
changes culture, and it suggests another tool we can use in assessing
impact.

===In the community===

4. Sugar will be at Linux Tag (See
[[http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Events/LinuxTag2011]]).

===Help Wanted===

5. Chris Leonard sent a note to the Localization list requesting help
transferring strings to Glucose 0.92. Please see his email
[http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2011-April/002879.html]
for details.

===Tech Talk===

6. Dextrose 2.0 has been released. Many thanks to Ceibal, Educa
Paraguay, Activity Central, and the Sugar community (See
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/Dextrose).

7. While OLPC continues its work on XO 1.75, an ARM-based version of
the laptop, community members have been experimenting with Sugar on
other ARM platforms. William Schaub has Sugar running on a Genesi
Efika MX smartbook [http://steubentech.com/~talon/Efika-MX/]and Samy
Boutayeb has Sugar running on the Toshiba AC100
[http://salaliitto.com/~gildean/ac100/wiki/phh/].

===Sugar Labs===

Visit our planet [http://planet.sugarlabs.org] for more updates about
Sugar and Sugar deployments.