[IAEP] Child in charge of FOSS or Sugar

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 22:01:14 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Søren Hougesen
<soren.hougesen at gmail.com> wrote:
> For about a month ago, I asked as a curious outsider, if kids were actually
> hacking sugar.

Two factors are important here:

 - We all have very high and complex expectations for Sugar, so Sugar
itself is internally complex; and that trend is increasing. So to
actually hack in the core of Sugar you have to make a long trip of
discovery and learning. (Activities are a lot easier to hack.)

 - Sugar (and XOs) have not been in use for long enough! Sugar users
have only started their journey. Will they travel all the way to
hacking Sugar? Hard to know! If they are working on TurtleArt /
TurtleBlocks, EToys, Scratch or Pippy, they are on the right track.

hth,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions