[IAEP] [SoaS] [MARKETING] Get Sugar landing page

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Sep 15 17:34:55 EDT 2010

On 16 September 2010 09:00, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz> wrote:

> If we support VIrtualBox we
>> should probably also support VMWare, Hyper-V, KVM and Xen. Who's going
>> to do all that testing when we have barely the resources to do a
>> single image.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> I am a teacher of sorts and have been into loads of education institutes
> from pre school through to tertiary. Apple is everywhere so we have to solve
> this problem.

Apple designs vertically integrated systems. If schools & teachers decide to
adopt this philosophy, they take the risk that they can't use external
stuff. I don't know if Sugar Labs have the capacity to remedy this. I think
that Sugar Labs should focus on making quality software, and push
responsibility for adoption downstream to distributions and companies/orgs
that want to promote Sugar's adoption.

I'm sorry for my lack of sympathy, but I don't see Sugar running natively on
a Mac platform as a priority for Sugar Labs. It's a priority, but we have
many priorities and few resources.

> I use Virtualbox and have a geek master to turn to for help when I need it.
> I have not heard of those other virtual machine things and all the teachers
> I know that have tried a virtual machine have done so with Virtualbox or
> something called bootcamp (which might not even be a virtual machine, who
> knows?)

You're right there, Boot Camp[1] is not virtualisation. It is more like an
installer to make things easier for people to install a second operating
system. It assists people with repartitioning their hard drives and so
forth.

I think that Boot Camp is a good route to investigate if someone has the
energy. Perhaps some intrepid Mac users could adapt current tutorials[3] for
Sugar.

Tim

[1] http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BootCamp
[2]
http://www.helium.com/items/421906-how-to-install-linux-on-an-intel-mac-with-boot-camp

[note: marketing list removed from discussion]