[IAEP] NN, Mitra, and the role of the teacher

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 18:31:53 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
> <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>>
>> Zitat von John Watlington <wad at laptop.org>:
>>
>>> There is no argument that a great teacher influences many
>>> children in the right direction.
>>>
>>> But such an effort to improve teachers is completely orthogonal
>>> (i.e. independent) to both Sugar and OLPC.   Better teachers
>>> are needed whether or not the kids get laptops.
>
> -1
> In this community we never say "We need better kids".  We believe that all
> kids can learn and we believe that with constructivist tools and
> collaborative learning  they have the potential to go from where they are to
> anywhere and everywhere.
> But we take the same people, just 10 or 20 years older and we say.  "These
> teachers are not good enough, we need better teachers".    Why do we not
> believe in the potential for constructivist tools and collaborative learning
> to help the adults currently in the classrooms
> become extraordinary teachers?
>

>> +1

>>> "The teachers must be trained first" is a line frequently used to
>>> delay deploying the laptops.
>>>
>>> Presenting it with Sugar or OLPC would be a disservice, IMO.
>>> Sugar and OLPC have the most to offer in classrooms where
>>> the teachers are horrible or missing.
>>
>> Where have you seen evidence of this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Christoph
>>
>> --
>> Christoph Derndorfer
>> co-editor, olpcnews
>> url: www.olpcnews.com
>> e-mail: christoph at olpcnews.com

> Caroline Meeks
> Solution Grove
> Caroline at SolutionGrove.com
>
> 617-500-3488 - Office
> 505-213-3268 - Fax

Well said.

There is certainly the potential and opportunity for the role of the
teacher to *change* in the context of 1-to-1 computing (and Sugar). We
hope that everyone will be a learner and a teacher: the children, the
teachers, the parents, and the community. This is a great point of
leverage that we can help to unleash.

-walter

--
Walter Bender