[IAEP] Dumb Questions... Input Wanted... Please Discuss!

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Wed Oct 27 16:40:24 EDT 2010

Caryl Bigenho wrote:
> Hi All...
>

> Here are some "dumb questions" for you. In a couple of weeks I will be doing a 2-hr hands-on workshop (at the CUELA Tech Fair) about OLPC, Sugar, and open source software teachers may want to try with their classes using the computers they already have at their schools. I would like to give them a CD or DVD with the files they would need to make their own USB sticks. I will also be showing them the online sites for Etoys and Scratch.
>

> I was thinking of including at least one version of SoaS, a copy of Virtual Box for Mac users, Live usb creator for SoaS (with text files telling how to use them), and Etoys-to-go.
>

> Please jump in with comments and suggestions for these questions. Please put your response under the question it applies to, for ease in reading and feel free to add to and comment on others responses:
> Is there anything else I have missed that should be included?
>

> Can they create the usb sticks from the files on disk?

in sugar-terminal of Booted Soas CD:
 su
 yum install liveusb-creator
then
 liveusb-creator  (with some USB formats' you may need to use
"liveusb-creator --reset-mbr")
 Download mirabelle.iso from liveusb-creator drop-down
 Insert USB (Min 2GB) select persistence with slider and write USB.

or

http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/Mirabelle-Remix-pl--LiveCD.iso

f13-spin "fedora-livecd-soas.ks" (mirabelle)
With these programs added to the build:
*deja-dup
*duplicity
*gparted
*gedit
*liveusb-creator
*zyx-liveinstaller

It was built to provide several utility programs, on the CD, not included in the released spin.

http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/Mirabelle-Remix-pl--LiveCD-README.txt
(for description of how to use)

Tom Gilliard
satellit
> Can I include a live CD image on the same disk?
>

> Could the same disk serve as a live CD and hold the other files?
>

> I  made a "live" SoaS once with the Fedora Live usb creator on a friend's PC. It works on my eeePC.
>

> How do you make the Etoys-to-go usb from a file on a disk? Does it need the Live usb Creator?
>

> Can it be done on a Mac?
>

> Will it work if they just copy the file onto a usb?
>

> What version of SoaS is really the most stable? (I know I will get different opinions here... but I would like your input).

Either Blueberry v2 (more applications) or Mirabelle v3 (more recent
sugar) are fine.

> We will have the XO-1s from the CUELA XO library (I hope) and a mix of XO-1s and XO-1.5s from my "Roadshow In a Box" for the hands-on lab. Teachers will be invited to use their own laptops if they like, but the purpose of the hands-on part is to introduce the Activities.
>

> Has anyone done an introductory workshop like this for classroom teachers?
>

> If so, which Activities worked the best in the workshop?

http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tgillard/ASLO-4.iso  (about 140 activities)
(Burn .iso and copy the .xo files to a 2 GB USB, you can then install
the applications into your Soas USB burned with the liveusb-creator above.
Install by inserting the 2nd ASLO USB and drag dropping the .xo files
into the Soas sugar-journal.

> Did you use 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 (or more if there are too many people) so they can help each other?
>

> If you haven't done such a workshop, which Activities do you think I should consider including?
>

> There will also be a 1 hr presentation where I will talk about OLPC, SugarLabs, volunteering, the Contributors Program, and sales.  Is there anything else I should mention?

Sugar_Creation_Kit_DVD
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Sugar_Creation_Kit_DVD ?

Prebuilt Virtual Machines for Virtualbox and VMplayer ?
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files#Other_virtual_machines
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads#Virtual_Machines_on_all_platforms

Tom Gilliard
satellit