[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Moving forward.
Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero
rafael at sugarlabs.org
Mon Oct 25 22:49:39 EDT 2010
Hi David and all.
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I sent a rather blunt email on my concerns about the
> project. It seems the observations resonated with many people while
> striking several nerves. The volume of private mail or CCed mail (to
> a subset of the Sugar Labs participants) responses was unexpectedly
> The five main themes of the responses are:
> 1. "Could you possibility be any more abstract?"
> 2. "Several of the points are valid. Here are my
> responses/suggestions. This should be on a public thread, but someone
> else will have to start it."
> 3. "The core problem is trust."
> 4. "This conversation is like an iceberg, the 'community' only sees
> 10% and not the other 90%."
> 5. "Dave you are just a jerk, now shut up."
> For better of worse, all five points are valid. I am a bumbling jerk
> who is struggling to rebuild community trust without airing anyone's
> dirty laundry, including my own.
> To put all of my cards on the table:
> 1. The ideas driving OLPC and Sugar are sound.
> 2. Sugar Labs will continue to fragment until the issue of trust is
> 3. Because of this, I left Sugar Labs to start a business which
> provides service and support for Sugar.
> 4. I need Sugar to succeed. I need OLPC to succeed.
> 5. I have been trying to operate 'under the radar' because some in
> Sugar Labs and OLPC have contacted individuals I am working with and
> 'suggested' that they not work with me.
> Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I get pissed off about
> the lack of trust and community building in Sugar Labs, so I go off
> and form a fork which operates largely in secret.
> Two years ago, I suggested that the over sight board appoint Walter
> Bender as Executive Director of Sugar Labs so he would be able to
> speak on behalf of Sugar Labs. He had three skills which Sugar Labs
> needed. 1) He was able to clearly and effectively communicate the
> goals of Sugar and the mission of Sugar Labs. 2) He was able to create
> an identity for Sugar Labs outside of OLPC. 3) He was a tireless
> advocate for Sugar. In the past two years Sugar Labs has progressed,
> largely because of Walter. The goal of sugar and Sugar labs is well
> understood. Sugar Labs has a clear identity.
> Now, Sugar Labs has different needs; pragmatic bridge building between
> individuals and organization. It is time to look for someone with
> those particular skill to lead/herd Sugar Labs forward. As such I
> would like to recommend that SLOB ask and appoint Adam Holt as the
> next Executive Director of Sugar Labs.
In the last email you mentioned key points of possible actual
weakness of Sugar Labs, in my opinion changing executive Director doesn't
address all these points, we need more community discussions about those.
> Sugar-devel mailing list
> Sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the IAEP