[IAEP] TSA Loves XOs!

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 25 13:36:01 EST 2010

Hi All,

I flew from DFW yesterday, the day before Thanksgiving, which is supposed to be one of the busiest days for flying. We arrived early because we had heard of plans for lot of people to "opt out" of the body scanners and ask for the "enhanced pat-down search" instead.

The protest didn't show up in the security area we went through and the TSA agents were very overstaffed and very good natured and friendly. Because of my knee replacements I always set off the alarm and get the pat-down. Yesterday was no exception, but the procedures have changed. No more metal detecting wands.  Instead they pat you down all over... and I do mean all over!
So, there I was with my arms out like a hovering bird, getting the "treatment" when another, smiling TSA agent came over to ask me about OLPC and the Contributors Program! She had seen the XO-1.5 I brought  (to demo at New Tech High @ Coppell) go through the scanner. She asked my husband about it as he was gathering my things.  He gave her one of my cards with lots of links on the back, told her more about it and sent her over to talk to me.

So, while I was getting that "enhanced pat-down" I was pleasantly distracted by being able to tell her about our Contributors Program.  She was very interested in the possibility of doing a project at a place where she volunteers once a week in the Dallas area.  I was pleasantly distracted and almost didn't notice the thoroughness of the pat-down! You never know when traveling with an XO will pay off in new and interesting ways!
Happy Thanksgiving!Grannie B (aka Caryl)