[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2010-11-25

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 08:46:32 EST 2010

==Sugar Digest==

Today is Thanksgiving in the US. A time for family and reflection and
baking pies (also known as kitchen chemistry).

1. Just a few more days to cast your vote in the Oversight Board
election. You should have received a ballot in the mail.

2. Tony Forster continues to add to the Using Turtle Art with Sensors
[http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/TurtleArt/Using_Turtle_Art_Sensors]
page in the wiki. His latest project is a to use sensor input to
explore acceleration on an inclined plane
[http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/TurtleArt/Using_Turtle_Art_Sensors#Acceleration_on_an_inclined_plane].
So cool.

3. Speaking of Turtle Art, I just released a new version of Turtle
Blocks ([http://activities.sugarlabs.org/downloads/file/27124/turtle_art-104.xo])
that cleans up a lot of little annoyances, including problems with
playback of multimedia objects
([http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1613]). With Tony's help and
feedback, I also made the process of importing Python code into blocks
more streamlined.

4. A group of MIT Sloan students (Alex Fallow, Laura Guaglianone,
Julie Lein, and Parul Singh) are conducting a survey about Sugar with
the goal of helping us refine our outreach. Please participate (See
[https://survey.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eD8yvVjHSnPhxek]).

===In the community===

5. DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP, an international forum on development and
social inclusion through the use of ICT in Uruguay will be held on
29th and 30th November 2010 at the Uruguayan Laboratory of Technology
(LATU) in Montevideo, Uruguay.

6. I'll also be giving a talk at the Catholic University in Montevideo
on Tuesday, 30 November. If you are in the neighborhood, please drop
by.

===Tech Talk===

7. Aleksey Lim, who has recently gotten translation bots running in
our most frequented channels on irc.freenode.net has been revamping
the web interface (See either https://chat.sugarlabs.org or
http://chat.sugarlabs.org).

Enhancements include:

* https for secure chatting
* Sugar Labs quick-link toolbar
* nickname login field supports keeping history in browsers
* list of Sugar-related channels
* list of languages for multi-lingual chatting
* after logging in, #sugar channel and language may be chosen from
tabs bar selectors

For the secure chat, you can download a certificate from
http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3

===Sugar Labs===

Gary Martin has generated a SOM from the past week of discussion on
the IAEP mailing list.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2010-Nov-13-19-so.jpg (25 emails)

Visit http://planet.sugarlabs.org for more updates about Sugar and
Sugar deployments.