[IAEP] 90% fluency Re: Granny Cloud

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 13:10:05 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 03 Nov 2010 3:43:35 am Yamandu Ploskonka wrote:
> hmm, sure..., sorry   What does it mean? 90% of the children get 100%?
> Is there a sliding scale / bell curve?  what is "fluency", anyway?
> fluency in what?
I can share my experience in helping out Sikshana (www.sikshana.org). Sikshana
sends out people (mentors) to assist public school teachers to do a dip stick
check at 4th and 7th in four areas:
 * expression - does he/she speak freely? do he/she open out to teachers and
peers for help in getting supplies, seek clarifications etc?
If so, check
 * writing - can he/she write down thoughts and needs? Spelling and grammar
errors are ok as long as the meaning comes through clearly.
 * reading - can he/she read (unseen) sentences, paragraphs, written requests,
understand and be ready to act upon it?
 * numeracy - can he/she perform division (arithmetic) of three or larger
digits and verify the result?

These checks take only a few minutes per student and serve to indicate if
he/she has started learning and build a foundation for life. We do this for
the primary language in 4th and check bilingual/trilingual skills in 7th. A
list of students who fall short is drawn up. We don't spend time on analyzing
why the gap occurred but ensure that each student  is "adopted" by an adult -
a teacher who has stepped forward to take up this challenge or a local
volunteer or a teacher assisted by a local volunteer.

In a typical cluster of 15 schools (~1500-2000 students) around 25-30% fall
short even with tech infusion. But with personal attention, the numbers drop
below 10% in a matter of months. The bar is then raised slowly so that no
student is left behind. The exact method used to attain fluency is left to the
teacher.

Subbu