[IAEP] NN, Mitra, and the role of the teacher

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 00:53:26 EDT 2010

On Monday 01 Nov 2010 9:43:28 am Yamandu Ploskonka wrote:
> Are y'all familiar with the RIVER Project? (Rishi Valley Institute for
> Educational Resources)
> their website doesn't do quite justice on how concepts like this
> multi-age social-based mentoring that is being shared have in a most
> appropriate approach to education in poor areas.
>
> http://www.river-rv.org/
Thank you for this link. It is good to know of other efforts towards
educational reforms. MGML is already in place for grades 1-3 in all public
schools in my state and is being expanded to higher grades every year.

MGML is a problem only in curricular-driven environments. This is how children
learn, say, in homes or in playground. Grouping happens naturally by level of
competence and interest rather than by age.

Previous efforts that I tracked did not close the loop. That is, they would
train teachers and expect changes to happen but did not verify if learning
actually happened. No method works for every child. That is why Sikshana
decided to work backwards - ensure every child is able to learn and keep
learning and support teachers to use their own masala (mix) of methods.

Subbu