[IAEP] Books and educational achievement

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Wed May 26 11:46:21 EDT 2010

Chris,

I'm as big a believer in the value of e-books as anyone you're likely
to meet, but I don't think we can assume that laptops that can
download potentially a million e-books would have the same effect as a
home library of conventional books.  My parents had a fair number of
books in the house, plus they bought us a set of Doctor Seuss and
other kid's books, plus I had a Willy Ley book on going to the moon,
Mr. Wizard's Science Secrets, and some others.  There is something
about having a real book that you may not get with an e-book.

I agree we need to get more e-books for children, but we won't know
the real effect of that from this study.

James Simmons