[IAEP] Quote, docs (was Re: Sugar Digest 2010-05-20)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun May 23 18:52:11 EDT 2010

Thanks. I added that one to http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai/Quotes

> We talked about how we might engage them in some informal learning
> activities using Sugar.

I have had such talks with The Tech Museum of San Jose and the
Exploratorium, and intend to talk with others. The Tech invites
interactive exhibit designs.

> I had written an NSF grant a while back: "Adding depth to and building
> community within informal education", which was rejected, but is worth
> pursing nonetheless.

Would you be intereted i joii i a a appi
> I'd proposed to explore how children's activities at informal learning
> venues can be extended by providing learners with inexpensive,
> ubiquitous access to learning software (Sugar on a Stick). By
> designing, developing, and testing a proof of concept that combines
> informal learning activities with in-depth follow up at home or in the
> classroom we still hope to demonstrate a learning ecology that
> "increases public interest in, understanding of, and engagement with
> science, technology, engineering, and mathematics."
>
> Specifically, I proposed to leverage Sugar on a Stick to promote the
> use of Sugar in informal learning settings: prototyping Sugar-based
> exhibit kiosks in museums and libraries that will facilitate visitor
> interactions. Visitors will be given a Sugar-on-a-Stick USB storage
> device with which they can make bookmarks of exhibits that they
> visited, found interesting, or saved data from. Exhibit designers can
> use kiosks to collect visitor information and offer additional
> activities and data that visitors can work with when back at school or
> home. Activities can be downloaded to the Sugar-on-a-Stick device from
> the kiosk. The work done by visitors can be incorporated into the
> exhibit itself and featured on line, with the potential to reach a
> broader audience.
>
> I still hope to learn how the data- and instrumentation-rich
> facilities found in informal learning settings and Sugar might be
> combined to further engage the interest of learners in scientific and
> technological literacy. I hypothesized that by giving visitors the
> ability to take programs and data home with them, we will be able to
> challenge them with more in-depth and engaging problem solving. Giving
> them activities to take home, connecting these activities to other
> learning experiences and interests, and connecting these activities to
> a community of learners are significant enhancements to the status quo
> of informal learning.
>
> We need to evaluate the technical, logistical, and pedagogical impacts
> on the museum exhibit experience, library digital and human resources,
> and education programs s that we can develop an implementation guide
> for informal-learning professionals.
>
> === Help wanted ===
>
> 2. We have a number of vacancies (See
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Vacancies). Many of these positions
> require organization as opposed to technical skills and only a
> commitment of a few hours per week.

Clearly I should offer to take this one on:

Document team coordinator: carries administrative tasks such as
organizing regular meetings, keep the TODO list updated, keep the
membership list, and makes sure that the team has clear goals and is
kept focused. I'll look over the latest at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team and see if I have any
questions.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/