[IAEP] Working with a commercial entity.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Tue May 18 06:20:00 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 19:43, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:
> There has been discussion on development processes and a development
> team lead over the past couple of days.  As this discussion moves
> forward, I would like the community to consider the effects of working
> with commercial entity.
>
> Over the past couple of months I have been exploring business
> opportunities to promote the adoption and development of Sugar.  One
> of these opportunities is a service and support business for
> deployments.  As such, we are building network of developers to work
> on deployment specific issues.
>
> One consideration is that these deployment specific issues are often
> boring -- stuff like bug fixes.

I actually don't think bug fixing is boring, but definitely people get
motivated for it in a different way than with new features.

I think that if we properly explain the impact of quality on the daily
usage of Sugar, volunteers will also feel interested in helping with
that, same with testing and other areas that today are neglected. This
will be one of the many challenges of our incipient community team.

> As such we are paying the developers
> the going rate rate for developers in their country or region.  This
> brings three advantages:
> 1. The deployment issues are fixed.
> 2. These fixes are pushed upstream for inclusion into Sugar.
> 3.  There is a growing pool of skilled developers, with knowledge of
> how to work with the Sugar community, co-located with deployment

This looks like a giant step forward for Sugar, kudos to all your team
for it. I'm sure conflicts will arise and I hope we'll be able to
solve them with respectful discussion, patience and by assuming that
the others mean well.

Cheers,

Tomeu