[IAEP] Working with a commercial entity.

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon May 17 18:52:40 EDT 2010

Hi Cristoph and others,

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:04:08AM +0200, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>Am 17.05.2010 23:50, schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:43:19PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>>> One consideration is that these deployment specific issues are often
>>> boring -- stuff like bug fixes.  As such we are paying the
>>> developers the going rate rate for developers in their country or
>>> region.  This brings three advantages:
>>> 1. The deployment issues are fixed.
>>> 2. These fixes are pushed upstream for inclusion into Sugar.
>>> 3.  There is a growing pool of skilled developers, with knowledge of
>>> how to work with the Sugar community, co-located with deployment
>>
>> Another (quite related) consideration is the risk of discouraging
>> similar volunteer efforts.  This brings (at least) two disadvantages:
>>  1. Increasing the gap between developers and users.
>>  2. Encumbering the project with (more) discrete communiction.
>
>Luke raised similar concerns during the "Sugar Labs Budget" discussion
>last April and I still stick to my reply from back then
>(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-April/005028.html):
>
>Quote from
>http://mako.cc/writing/funding_volunteers/funding_volunteers.html:
>
>"Done critically, creatively, and transparently, voluntary free
>software projects can use money and paid labor to a tremendous benefit
>that only magnifies their accomplishments."
>
>I personally think this is something that Sugar Labs should be aiming
>for.
>
>Also I think it's important to realize there's a difference between
>paying development and paying developers. As a Sugar user I don't
>particularly care about who commits the code or writes the
>documentation as long as the job of fixing bugs and improving and
>advancing the platform gets done.

I am not Sugar developer, nor am I a user. Just a volunteer distributor.

I fully agree with Mako's statement quoted above.

A key part as I see it is that of transparency.  Making deals with
commercial partners have a tendency to spawn discrete communication and
work shared openly but as a result, not a peer process (a famous example
is that of Google Android release process of linux kernel patches).

  - Jonas