[IAEP] maintenance

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Mon May 3 05:09:22 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:31, Christoph Derndorfer
<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
> thanks a lot for your message which indeed served as a strong reminder
> about the challenges in this area.
>
> Unfortunately I can't really provide any quick and actionable proposals
> that go beyond your proposal or Walter's comments.
>
> The only thing I would urge is for anyone who interacts with or works at
> deployments to emphasize this "help us to help you" point that you
> mention in your message. What I believe to have learned over the past
> year or so is that while many deployments actually have significant
> resources (both in terms of finances and manpower) at their disposal it
> can be incredibly hard if not impossible to justify (to donors,
> governments, etc) spending them on something that isn't very obviously
> and directly related to their work. Hence it doesn't come as too much of
> a surprise that things such as "packaging Sugar, deploying it, training
> teachers on it, developing new activities and new Sugar features, people
> write books about Sugar, setup help lines to support Sugar users,
> universities are given grants to study the use of Sugar, load machines
> with it, etc." are more commonly being worked on.
>
> One other aspect - and I debated awhile about whether to bring this up
> here - is that I think that for many deployments Sugar has reached the
> point where what they have is "good enough". Yes, some places will have
> strong desires for one particular feature or another and dedicate
> resources to it (e.g. 3G support for Uruguay). And we can all quickly
> think of a great number of features that we'd like to see added or
> improved upon. However in the grand scheme of things it seems like
> people are quite happy with what they have today and/or are currently
> more focused on the wealth of other challenges that deployments face on
> a daily basis(and there's plenty of those!). This point was really
> driven home for me when I asked Oscar Becerra of OLPC Peru about their
> software upgrade strategy in late February. His reply was along the
> lines of "What software upgrade? We're not even close to fully utilizing
> what we have right now [6xx builds in most cases]".

I agree in general with what you wrote, but I think the situation is a
bit more complex than that. If you talk to the top responsible for a
deployment, you are more likely to hear a call for focusing on
stability. If you talk to the head of pedagogy in that deployment, you
may hear about more activities more closely aligned with the
curriculum. If you talk to the responsible for support, you may hear
about a more stable journal with better provisions for deleting the
entries that take more place. If you talk to the responsible of
development, you may get a balanced view between a few new features
and more stability. Etc.

At the end, I think that we cannot get wrong if we assume that
downstreams generally want a project with continuity, with an adequate
progression in stability and new features and with a development
process that gives them some control.

As an aside, as much as a deployment would like to stick to an older
release, it's just not possible to do so without having to support
several versions simultaneously because new hardware often doesn't
support older software versions. I don't really think that any
deployment wants to have to support several versions very different
from each other.

> So maybe, just maybe, what needs to happen is for Sugar Labs and
> everyone involved to partially redefine what it is that Sugar Labs
> should be doing. This could go into several directions:

Totally agreed. If downstreams talked to each other about Sugar, they
would be able to give a very strong signal about where SLs should
head. That's the point of the deployment team.

> * make Sugar Labs the place where the cutting edge stuff in terms of
> advancement of the platform happens (with maintenance of older stuff
> suffering and being taken on by mature deployments)
> * make Sugar Labs a slightly more conservative place in terms of feature
> additions but a strong focus on stability and maintainability and
> support of deployments
> * stay on the current course which is a mixture of the above (and
> currently seems to hit its limitations)
> * try and go for what Ubuntu is doing with some sort of alternation
> between the progressive and conservation development cycles
>
> Maybe that last approach is something that's worthwhile discussing. I
> remember some exchanges ahwhile ago about changing the development
> cycles to be slightly slower and what some perceive as more suited to
> how many deployments work. This might also make life for developers and
> maintainers easier and entice more people to step up and support Sugar
> development and maintenance.

As far as I know, all these possibilities are on the table, we just
miss the appropriate people to join us around it.

Regards,

Tomeu