[IAEP] Jaime Escalante

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 00:14:22 EDT 2010

Hello All,

I have sad news tonight, Jaime Escalante has lost his battle with cancer. He passed away today.  I knew Jaime when we were both working at Garfield High in East Los Angeles, and contacted him a couple of years ago about the possibility of sharing some of his "mathemagic" with OLPC.  We arranged for him to have an XO to play with in the hopes that he would come up with some ideas that could be developed for use in Sugar. Unfortunately, his health problems got in the way, and it was not to be.

Here is the Los Angeles Times article about Jaime. It will give you an idea of the kind of teacher he was:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-jaime-escalante31-2010mar31,0,7083760.story

Caryl