[IAEP] Fwd: Helping kids develop mobile applications?

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Tue Mar 30 20:07:36 EDT 2010

> This was posted to mobile-devel-list at gnome.org by Stormy. I figure,
> while not directly gnome mobile sugar uses alot of the gnome mobile
> stack. Someone from San Francisco might be interested or able to do a
> combined sugar and gnome-mobile event.

Its certainly worth considering making Sugar available for mobile phones so its worth staying in touch with gnome mobile.

Wayan Vota and others argue that mobile phones are a more appropriate educational platform than laptops for developing countries.
http://edutechdebate.org/mobile-phones-and-computers/

Their high market penetration is a definite plus, the small display and limited keyboard a minus. It would be good to see educational activities like Etoys and TurtleArt along with Bluetooth or Wifi collaboration and show source available to the 100 millions of phones in the developing world.

Thanks Walter for mentioning David Cavallo in a recent post. I have been reading about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergent_Design which asserts that educational reform in developing countries needs to be rooted in the existing skills and needs of the local culture. Clearly mobile phones fit this criterion.

Tony