[IAEP] Gravity for Beginners...

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 23:03:43 EDT 2010

> If the kids could really measure accurately,

which can be done with a high quality pendulum,

> they would find that the
> acceleration is not actually constant, but differs by about one part in a
> million from 14 feet above the ground and at the ground level (due the more
> accurate inverse square Newton "Law").

And if they had access to atomic clocks, they could observe the
difference in the rate of passage of time at higher and lower
altitudes, which are of practical importance in the clocks on GPS
satellites. Measuring the deviations from Newton's Law in a falling
object near the surface of the Earth requires greater precision than
is available. It is observable with great difficulty in the precession
of the orbit of Mercury around the Sun, and more clearly in binary
pulsar systems.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/