[IAEP] Argentina List

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 16:29:03 EDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Decalogue is a proposal about  how a project 1 to 1 should be, to
> provide to the ministry of education of the city of Buenos Aires.
> Its interesting remark that we and 12 associations are developing and
> signing the decalogue.

This is good progress -- and I am frankly impressed with the govt there.

One of the main challenges for SL & OLPC is to educate governments
about what's important to consider when planning 1:1 projects -- and
avoid it all coming down to "what's the shiniest laptop we can get for
the lowest price". Which still happens, lots.

The hard part is moving from "shiniest" to "best fit for the
challenges"; and from "laptop" to the "whole package" view, including
the laptop's technical suitability to kids' environments as well as
important intangibles like community, educational orientation &
philosophy and openness...

If you think from the perspective of the children and schools
involved, those things make or break a project... but it is hard to
know you need to evaluate them (specially for people in a conventional
govt IT environment). And the evaluation is not easy.

But if we were into easy, we wouldn't be here.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions