[IAEP] is Soas safe?

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 19:31:02 EDT 2010

My apologies for this silly, silly question.

I am concerned of the risk of malware infection in shared machines.

I guess that harddrive-less units are totally OK, but what happens in
normal, hard-drive based machines if somehow a stick gets infected? when
booting from a USB stick, is it like when booting from a CD or for those
old enough to remember, like booting from a floppy?

I mean, that was THE way to get infected before Word macros started
being the star, since such infection basically bypass all anti-malware
protection, except when set at the BIOS level, and how many people knew
about it in my younger days?

How can we ensure this is not an issue made worse by Soas users?
Opinions and knowledge, anyone?

Thanks!

Yama