[IAEP] SoaS change of direction: heads-up on convos in other lists

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Sat Mar 20 12:55:23 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:06:53PM -0400, Gerald Ardito wrote:

> Speaking for teachers working with students, the extra work to
> download the
> extra activities desired for over a hundred flash drives would be
> daunting
> at best.
FWIW, I think downloading activities to each individual stick is an
utter waste of time. There are better ways to do that; off the top of my
head, you can:

a) Prepare / configure a single stick (the smallest one) and clone it by

     removing ~/.sugar/default/owner.key* and using dd to do an exact
copy of
     the stick or
b) create a custom SoaS image[2].

Yes, we could and should build tools that allow non-techies to do this
easily. But anyone doing a deployment at this scale will need a system
administrator anyway - even if just a teacher with a reasonable amount
of Unix/Linux experience.

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/74
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Customization

CU Sascha