[IAEP] SoaS change of direction: heads-up on convos in other lists

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 12:46:33 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with this approach is that it renders SoaS ineffective for
> new tryers of Sugar (i.e. the overwhelming majority of teachers and
> parents we are trying to reach).

I don't think it will be any less ineffective than having 20
activities of which half have issues, crash or just don't run. I think
we'd be much better off have less activities that are well tested than
more activities that have little testing. It also provides incentive
for Activity developers to improve their activity and support it if
they want it included rather than just run and dump that seems to
happen so much.

> As SoaS is the pillar of our marketing strategy, this means cancelling
> the planned SoaS media campaign in May. No big deal, since we are not
> far along in the campaign planning and we have another campaign in the
> pipeline. SoaS version numbers are tied to the media campaigns (cf.
> [1]), so the next promotable version (Cloudberry in the fall) should
> be v3.
>
> We can position this release (Mirabelle) as a maintenance release and
> concentrate on developer recruitment instead.

The fact is that its not though, its a new major release of Sugar
interface like all the other releases of SOAS.

Peter