[IAEP] Fwd: [Edu-sig] "Computer Science For Kids" Book Announcement

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 19:36:07 EDT 2010

I have not been able to get the download to work.  Is there a reason this is happening?

Caryl

From: gerald.ardito at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:28:06 -0400
To: walter.bender at gmail.com
CC: iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org
Subject: Re: [IAEP] Fwd: [Edu-sig] "Computer Science For Kids" Book	Announcement

I thought this was a good intro to the basic principles. I was thinking of my students working with TurtleArt, Scratch, and Etoys and using this to help abstract some of the more general concepts of programming from what they had been doing.

Gerald

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> Looks nice :)

Pretty good.  A few places it could be improved. For example, in his

compression example, Page 28, he gets confused about bits and bytes.

And his page on Open Source is a bit off the mark IMHO. Still, it may

appeal to some. I'd be curious to get some teacher reactions.

-walter

> - Bert -

> Begin forwarded message:

>> From: Andre Lessa <andre at lessaworld.com>

>> Date: 19. März 2010 05:28:54 MEZ

>> To: edu-sig at python.org

>> Subject: [Edu-sig] "Computer Science For Kids" Book Announcement

>> Hey Python Community,

>> I just self published this brand new book and I'm making its PDF

>> available for (free) download on my web site.

>> My goal is to explain some very basic fundamentals of computer science

>> to kids who are starting to learn about computers at school and/or at

>> home. For the tiny hints of programming, I referenced Python. If you

>> (or a kid you know) ends up having access to this book, please send

>> your feedback (suggestions/corrections) directly to me so I can start

>> thinking about the next edition and how I can make it even cooler for

>> kids.

>> Thanks!

>> Andre Lessa

>> You can download the entire book here (no registration required).

>> "Computer Science For Kids"

>> http://www.LessaWorld.com/kids/

Walter Bender

Sugar Labs